At New World Chiro, we understand how important it is to receive a great night sleep. Sleeping is one of the most important functions our body undertakes. Sleeping allows our body to rest, rejuvenate and repair. Our bodies recharge in preparation of tomorrows activities.
Surveys reveal that between 33 to 45 percent of the general population has trouble sleeping. If this sounds like you, we have some important information and tips to pass on so read on.
There are many reasons why people find it difficult to sleep. Some common causes of sleep problems include:
- stress and emotional turmoil
- body aches and pain (we’ll touch on this point in a moment)
- uncomfortable bedding/mattress/pillow
- smart phones and electronic devices that give off bright light
Sleep better with these 8 tips
- Avoid caffeinated drinks in the afternoon and evening. Coffee, cola and tea contain the stimulant caffeine: its effect can last hours.
- Go to bed and get up at the same time each day. This sets up a daily routine to help your body get to sleep at the right time.
- Exercise regularly and at least 2-3 hours before bed. Any later and your increased heart beat can keep you awake.
- Replace your mattress every 8 years. If your mattress slouches in the middle, replace it as it won’t support your spine adequately.
- Practice yoga or meditation before you go to sleep. This helps to clear your mind and calms your breathing.
- Try a chiropractic pillow. They are designed to support your neck and head while keeping your spine in alignment.
- If you sleep on your stomach or find it uncomfortable to sleep on your back, this may be a sign that you have an underlying structural issues such as a misalignment along your spine.
- If you suffer aches and pain, find it hard to sleep on your back or sleep on your stomach, you may have an underlying structural issue or back pain problem. A Doctor of Chiropractic can examine your spine to determine if there is a cause for further investigation and if your sleeping issues may be helped, or not.
TIP: dim your lights 1 hour before you plan to go to bed. Your body clock is affected by light, so by turning off bright lights your body begins to wind down.
Consult Our Clinic
Please call or email today.
Dr. Rosemarie Jabbour (Chiropractor) is the owner and chiropractor at New World Chiro, Parramatta. Rosemarie is an experienced and highly professional healthcare practitioner with over 25+ years experience in caring for the local community. Rosemarie was also one of the chiropractors for the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. With a keen interest in spinal health, neuroscience and sports fitness, Rosemarie is a natural health champion and advocate.
In addition to running New World Chiro, Rosemarie runs corporate health and wellness training programs, chiropractic assistant training, and networks within a variety of local business networks.
- B.App Sc (Clin.Sc)
- Cert CCSP (U.S.A).ICSSD
- The International Chiropractic Sports Science Diploma 1997
- Graduate Certificate in Sports Chiropractic in 1998