Posture is not just a standing matter. Your posture has a direct effect on how well (or not) you sleep. Chiropractic care has been shown to care for problems that directly affect how you sleep.
At New World Chiro, we have a saying that ‘posture is the window to your spine. Therefore, if you’re crooked on the outside, chances are you’re crooked on the inside’.
Did you know? Approximately 1/3 of our lives are spent in bed! Being aware of the position you sleep in is extremely important to maintaining a healthy spine.
Postural Warning Signs
Sleep is vital as it allows the body to repair and rejuvenate, both physically and mentally. Some common postural issues that can contribute to poor sleep may include:
- pelvic rotation or misalignment – causing back and leg pain
- lordosis of the spine (exaggerated lower back curve) – causing pain
- rolled shoulders – reducing lung capacity
- forward head posture – placing pressure on the spinal cord and contributing to muscle tension, neck pain and headaches
As a chiropractor, I understand just how important sleep is for health and overall well being. I also know how postural issues may manifest later in life as a serious health crisis if left untreated. The following reference highlights the association between spinal problems and poor sleeping.
Patients with spinal problems have greater difficulty falling asleep, have more frequent awakenings, sleep subjectively less well, take more and longer naps, and snore more*.
Sleep disorders such as insomnia have been associated with ‘painful musculoskeletal conditions that may result in sleepiness, irritability and feelings of misery.**
If you have problems sleeping and want to do something about it, please check in with your local chiropractor. Chiropractic cares for spinal problems that can prevent good night’s sleep. Chiropractors can advise you on a range of issues such as posture, ergonomics, mattress and pillow suitability, diet, nutrition and stretching.
Approximately 200,000 Australians visit their local Doctor of Chiropractic each week and enjoy the benefits of regular adjustments.
Wake up to Better Posture
Let’s sleep better this year. To book a chiropractic consultation at New World Chiro please contact us today.
References and Further Reading
- * Biering-Sorensen, F., & Biering-Sorensen, M. (2001). Sleep disturbances in the spinal cord injured: an epidemiological questionnaireinvestigation, including a normal population. Spinal Cord, 39, 505-513
- ** What’s new about sleep? (2001). Journal of the American Chiropractic Association, 38(9), 8-18.
- Ice Packs for Back Pain - 01/09/2020
- What Exactly Does a Chiropractor Do? - 31/01/2020
- Hips Out of Alignment - 28/05/2019
- Tech Neck - 26/03/2019
- Phases of Spinal Degeneration - 11/12/2018
- Will a Chiropractor Help My Pain go Away - 08/08/2018
- Can Medical Doctors Work With Chiropractors - 07/08/2018
- Does Looking at My Phone Give Me a Headache - 05/07/2018
- Common Types of Neck Curves and Neck Curve Problems - 27/10/2017
- Can Chiropractic Help My Back Pain - 28/09/2017